Adults and Teens
Art Therapy focuses on the process of creating through a variety of techniques and materials. No special talent or skill is required, although often dramatic, interesting and unique art emerges. Art therapy is centered on the meaning and emotions that connect your art creations to you.
Humans have a natural ability to create. For many people, the creative process is transforming and healing in nature. Art therapy may help you to access the intuitive, emotional aspects of yourself. This can support the development of deeper personal awareness and positive growth.
Art Therapy is intended as a personal process of self-discovery, providing growing insight in an environment that is empathic and caring.
Art Therapy is:
· Strengths Based Your strengths are naturally tapped during the processes of constructing, creating, changing, and reshaping each project.
· Accessible Personal circumstance, age, and skill level are not barriers to participation. We are all capable of creative expression.
· Expressive Art Therapy creates the opportunity to explore and express positive and negative internal energies, providing a non judgemental outlet for your emotions.
· Communicative Exploration of the creative process enhances verbal and nonverbal communication, internally and externally.
· Empowering A safe and confidential environment that encourages and supports self expression allows you to explore change without risk. Simply creating is often enjoyable, facilitating a positive shift in your mood.
· Mindful The process of creating art requires that you be present in the moment, focusing on here and now, and improving your personal awareness of the connection between your body and emotions.
· Playful There is a sense of playfulness in the art process. This perspective may encourage you to see things in a new light, reducing the uncomfortable sense of being ‘stuck’ in the same thought and behaviour patterns.